Creep framed a woman as a pedophile in a fake newspaper article


A hacker sent a woman’s family intimate photos of her and edited a newspaper article to make it look like she was a paedophile.

Ryan Campbell had previously been jailed for 20 months in September 2020 for making three young girls’ lives a misery.

Among them, a child aged 12 or 13, after she refused to send him nude photos; a 16-year-old ex-partner, whom he told to kill himself; and a 15-year-old victim, whom he tormented by impersonating her alleged rapist.

READ MORE: Girlfriend whispers ‘I need help’ after thug snaps her eye socket

Liverpool Crown Court heard that days after his release from prison he sent a friend request on Snapchat to his latest victim, a young woman whom ECHO chose not to name.

Rebecca Smith, prosecuting, initially said she had “normal” conversations with Campbell in October 2021.

He was using the ‘Ry Antrickz’ account, said he was 22 and from Liverpool, and would come to visit him in another part of the country.

Due to the distance between the two, she decided they wouldn’t be friends and blocked him on Snapchat, only to receive many friend requests.

In November, he contacted her on Facebook Messenger “threatening to hack into her bank account if she didn’t talk to him” and accused her of contacting “a lot of boys”.

The woman told him she didn’t want to chat but he replied “big mistake” and she blocked him on Facebook.

On November 17, she received an email saying action was required on her Facebook account, but discovered that the password had been changed.

Join over 56,000 other members of our Liverpool Court Cases and Crime Stories Facebook group and you’ll have access to all the latest stories from court reporter Neil Docking.

He will present reports from Liverpool Crown Court and Merseyside-related criminal cases.

To sign up and get updates click here and you can also follow Neil’s Facebook page here.

You can also sign up for our Courts newsletter here and receive a free bi-weekly roundup of court cases delivered to your inbox.

Friends told her a photo of her sticking her tongue out and a video of her dancing was posted on her Facebook wall, before Campbell messaged her on WhatsApp saying “you want me to stop?” with laughing emojis.

Ms Smith said Campbell sent her text messages containing the postcode of her former home and her grandfather’s address and said he was traveling there.

The messages became “more sinister and abusive” when he accused her of “attention seeking” for wanting to harm and kill herself.

He sent messages to one of his friends from his Facebook account, who asked him who he was.

Campbell replied, “Haha long story but we had a takeover because she’s basically slag.”

On November 20, he texted her “someone put your number on Gumtree as an escort” with a laughing emoji.

Campbell then sent her mother-in-law an article from the Independent newspaper with the headline: ‘Sinister pedophile who abused children in nursery got suspended sentence.’

It had been edited to include the woman’s name, her photo and the region where she lived.

Ms Smith said: ‘She found it extremely offensive and was shocked.

Her family and friends then contacted her to tell her that Campbell had sent intimate photos of her to a Facebook chat group.

The woman said she believed he had hacked into her Snapchat account to grab these “private sex images”.

She discovered that Campbell had previously been imprisoned for similar offenses and managed to change all of her passwords.

But then he hacked into her old Instagram account and messaged her saying, “Do you want me to remove your bank lock then or not?”

A few days later, he placed a series of Just Eat orders at his address, leading to “angry” delivery drivers calling him demanding payment.

She fled her home on November 21 “to take refuge”, reported him to the police, and did not return until December 1, after her arrest.

The victim, appearing via video link, today read a statement in which she describes how Campbell left her homebound and suicidal.

She told the court, “This boy destroyed my life.”

The courts in Liverpool are among the busiest in the UK, with a wide variety of cases heard each week.

For a behind-the-scenes look at how they work and the moments that don’t make our stories, subscribe to our free weekly newsletter Echo Court Files, written by court reporter Neil Docking.

How do I register?

It’s free, easy and takes no time at all.

  1. First click on this link to our newsletter registration center.
  2. Once you’re there, put your email address where it says at the top, then click the Echo Court Files button. Other newsletters are also available if you want them too.
  3. When you’ve made your choice, tap the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Campbell, 22, of Smith Road, Kirkdale, admitted to hacking, harassment and leaking private sex photographs.

The court heard he had since been recalled to prison to serve the remainder of his 20-month sentence.

Jonathan Duffy, defending, said in a letter to the court that Campbell admitted what he had done wrong and, when questioned by police, said “he deeply regretted his actions and was truly very sorry for the distress which he had caused”.

Mr Duffy said their ‘online friendship/relationship’ and the ‘nature or depth’ of it had been ‘misjudged’ by Campbell, who then behaved in a ‘totally inappropriate’ manner, which had “the characteristics of immaturity”.

The attorney sought full one-third credit for Campbell’s early guilty pleas.

Recorder Ian Harris said he was entitled to it, but it would be up to him to judge the remorse of Campbell, who was “a consummate hacker of computers and the personal data of others”.

Ryan Campbell, then 21, of Smith Place, Kirkdale, when he was jailed on three counts of unauthorized access to computer equipment, one count of controlling or coercive behavior and one count of intimidation of witnesses.
Ryan Campbell, then 21, of Smith Place, Kirkdale, when he was jailed on three counts of unauthorized access to computer equipment, one count of controlling or coercive behavior and one count of intimidation of witnesses.

Mr Duffy said: “He revealed in this letter how the problems he faced in his family, the death of people close to him, caused him to lose or think in a way he now has, having had time to reflect of course, deeply regrets.”

Recorder Harris told Campbell, “This behavior on your part was criminal and cowardly. It paralyzed your victim with fear. She became suicidal and reclusive.”

He said she was “brave” to read his statement, which “referred to the fact that her entire way of life, her friendships and her work, had been disrupted by you.”

The judge said: “You say you are sorry for the distress you have caused.

“I have read your letter, which sets out the reasons why you committed these offences. I do not accept that the reasons stated in your letter are any excuse…

“It is in my view offensive to refer to personal matters as you have done in this letter and to try in some way to blame those matters for committing these offences, when you had just being released from prison for the same or a similar type of offence.”

Recorder Harris concluded: “I find no remorse that I can take into account.”

He jailed him for two years and imposed an indefinite restraining order and a five-year criminal behavior order, restricting his internet use.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and updates from ECHO Liverpool by signing up here


Comments are closed.