Australian journalist apologizes after being accused of ‘taking out’ Rebel Wilson

0

The actress announced her relationship with designer Ramona Arguma before the story was published

Content of the article

Australian columnist Andrew Hornery has apologized following criticism he was trying to ‘take out’ actress Rebel Wilson with his column.

Advertisement 2

Content of the article

In the original column, which appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper on Saturday, Hornery seemed frustrated that his story about Wilson’s new relationship had been picked up (or in his words, “looked“) by Wilson herself.

Hornery said he contacted Wilson’s team on Thursday morning about the relationship and, asking for a response from Wilson, gave about two days to comment, saying he planned to publish the column this Saturday. He said he received no response.

On Friday morning, Wilson made an Instagram post announcing her relationship with American fashion designer Ramona Agruma, with the caption, “I thought I was looking for a Disney Prince…but maybe this is what I really needed all this time. was a disney princess 💗🌈💗 #love is love”

Advertisement 3

Content of the article

Advertisement 4

Content of the article

Wilson fans shared messages of support for the actor on his Instagram post.

The next day, when Hornery’s column was published, readers were outraged, saying he had tried to “unmask” Wilson, forcing her to go public with her relationship by giving her a deadline to answer her questions.

Wilson’s only comment on the controversy was a tweet, responding to a reporter’s condemnation of the Sydney Morning Herald’s actions. “Thank you for your feedback, it was a very difficult situation but I was trying to handle it with grace,” Wilson wrote.

Advertisement 5

Content of the article

Sydney Morning Herald editor Bevan Shields backed Hornery’s actions in his own column, titled “A note on Rebel Wilson.

In Shields’ column, he wrote that sending questions to Wilson was standard journalistic practice and that “we would have asked the same questions if Wilson’s new partner had been a man.”

“To say that the Herald ‘unmasked’ Wilson is wrong,” Shields continued.

Then, later that day, Shields tweeted an apology, saying the outlet made mistakes and pulled Hornery’s original column.

Advertising 6

Content of the article

Hornery has since penned a new column to replace it, titled “I Made Mistakes on Rebel Wilson, and I’ll Learn From Them” dealing with the setback he suffered.

In his apology, Hornery said “I sincerely regret that Rebel found this difficult.”

“As a gay man, I am well aware of the deep pain of discrimination,” he continued. “The last thing I want to do is inflict this pain on someone else.”

He says telling Wilson’s team about the deadline was not an ultimatum or a threat, but standard industry practice, but he says “I understand why my email was considered a threat. .”

2SLGBTQ+ advocates also condemned the outlet’s actions, saying everyone should have the right to go out on their own terms, and the Herald took that decision away from Wilson.

Advertisement 1

comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively yet civil discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments can take up to an hour to be moderated before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications. You will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, if there is an update to a comment thread you follow, or if a user follows you comments. Visit our Community Rules for more information and details on how to adjust your E-mail settings.

Share.

Comments are closed.